Click the names to see speaker biographies and contact details
Please mention Plant Hunters' Fairs when contacting a speaker.
Jane Allison runs Mayfields Plants and Garden Design from her third of an acre garden in Stanthorne, Cheshire.
After a long career in teaching, Jane exchanged teenagers for plants. She attended Reaseheath college in Nantwich, and gained qualifications in horticulture and garden design, thus turning a lifelong interest in plants into a second career. She specialises in cottage garden perennials, many of which are grown from seed, and propagated from plants in her own herbaceous borders.
All talks are illustrated with a selection of approximately 70 colour slides taken in private, and well-known gardens
1. 'MAKING THE MOST OF YOUR GARDEN SPACE' Looking at ways of maximising the potential of your garden, whatever its shape, dimensions and personal requirements. The talk begins with a look at three of my garden designs from start to completion. Also covered are planting ideas, the use of containers, wildlife considerations, water features, where to site fruit and vegetables, particularly in a small garden, possibilities for front gardens etc. This a wide-ranging talk, covering a lot of ground.
2. 'THE HERBACEOUS BORDER--VARIATIONS ON A THEME' Looking at the different interpretations of this essential and much-loved feature of the garden. It considers shapes, planting, 'mixed' borders, seasonal interest, the appeal of different colour schemes etc. The talk begins with a very brief 'history' of the herbaceous border, and four key figures : William Robinson, Gertrude Jekyll, Vita Sackville-West and Christopher Lloyd.
3. 'THREE CONTRASTING SOUTHERN GARDENS' Romantic Sissinghurst, picturesque Scotney, exuberant Great Dixter. Three garden 'tours' in one talk! A personal journey through three very different gardens, with the focus on the planting and atmosphere of each.
4. 'HERBACEOUS HALL OF FAME' A personal 'Top Ten' of herbaceous perennials, packed with as much information on varieties, planting and care as I can fit into the time! The list includes Hellebores, Poppies, Aquilegias and Geraniums.
Talks can be tailored to a time to suit you. Usually anything between 45minutes and an hour and a quarter.
NEW FOR 2014
5. 'BANQUETS FOR BEES AND BUTTERFLIES' Providing for bees and butterflies in your garden. A look at how we can help them all year round through our planting choices. Lists of plants provided after the talk.
6. 'WILD LANDSCAPES' Take a tour through two Cornish gardens which inspire awe and wonder. The fabulous Gardenesque styles of Trelissick Gardens, and The Lost Gardens of Heligan.
PLANT SALES I always bring at least a dozen of the best plants from my own cottage garden nursery for sale to members at very competitive prices.